Everyone knows that the ivory trade is taking a massive toll on African elephant populations, but did you also know that live elephants are 76 times more valuable to local economies than dead ones?
To celebrate World Elephant Day, get up to speed on the current plight of the world’s largest land mammals — as well as signs for hope for their future.
- INFOGRAPHIC: The value of an elephant
- US House passes wildlife trafficking bill
- Elephants with a trust fund? Endowment to protect future of a ‘magical’ forest
- 5 things you didn’t know about wildlife trafficking
- In wildlife trafficking, organized crime still a step ahead
Molly Bergen is the senior managing editor of Human Nature.
Cover image: Elephant near Kenya’s Mara North Conservancy. (© Jon McCormack)