11 facts you need to know
Agricultural expansion, illegal logging, mining and urbanization continue to drive deforestation around the world. Globally, forests are under threat — large-scale efforts are needed to protect these ecosystems and the many benefits they provide.
Stand up for forests, they need you
Forests are vital to the health of the planet — providing our air, food and water. As trees disappear, deforestation will cost us all. Your donation will help us support communities around the world as they protect forests.
Breaking news about deforestation, straight to your inbox.
- Global Forest Watch. Global Primary Forest Loss. Retrieved March, 2020, from https://www.globalforestwatch.org/dashboards/global
- Weisse, M. and Goldman, E.D. (2020, June 2). We Lost a Football Pitch of Primary Rainforest Every 6 Seconds in 2019. World Resources Institute. https://www.wri.org/blog/2020/06/global-tree-cover-loss-data-2019
- International Union for Conservation of Nature. (2021, February). Deforestation and forest degradation. https://www.iucn.org/resources/issues-briefs/deforestation-and-forest-degradation
- Global Forest Watch. (2020, June). We Lost a Football Pitch of Primary Rainforest Every 6 Seconds in 2019. https://blog.globalforestwatch.org/data-and-research/global-tree-cover-loss-data-2019/
- Global Forest Watch. Global Tree Cover Loss. Retrieved March, 2020, from https://www.globalforestwatch.org/dashboards/global
- Weisse, M. and Goldman, E.D. (2019, April 25). The World Lost a Belgium-sized Area of Primary Rainforests Last Year. World Resources Institute. https://www.wri.org/blog/2019/04/world-lost-belgium-sized-area-primary-rainforests-last-year
- FAO and UNEP. 2020. The State of the World’s Forests 2020. Forests, biodiversity and people. Rome. https://doi.org/10.4060/ca8642en
- Brack, Duncan. (2019). Background Analytical Study: Forests and Climate Change. United Nations Forum on Forests. https://www.un.org/esa/forests/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/UNFF14-BkgdStudy-SDG13-March2019.pdf
- Tilman, D., Balzer, C., Hill, J., & Befort, B. L. (2011). Global food demand and the sustainable intensification of agriculture. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108(50), 20260–20264. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1116437108
More of Our Work
More of Our Work