Initiated by Conservation South Africa (CSA) in 2007, the Climate Action Partnership (CAP), is a powerful alliance between 8 of the country’s largest biodiversity conservation NGOs. Through this partnership CSA aims to reduce the impacts of climate change and increase the resilience of South Africa’s biodiversity and communities by promoting intact ecosystems that are connected at a landscape level, building human capacity and implementing climate change adaptation and mitigation.
In 2010 CAP evolved beyond its initial mandate into a Conservation Alliance. The secretariat no longer supports the alliance, but the members still meet regularly, now collaborating on broader issues than only climate change. CSA and the Wildlands Conservation Trust now work closely together on climate change issues, as part of the original CAP vision, but under the new Conservation Alliance. CSA’s work focuses on adaptation aspects of climate change and Wildlands’ on mitigation. As part of this vision, CSA continues to host the CAP website as a portal for climate change information.
- BirdLife South Africa
- The Botanical Society of South Africa
- Conservation South Africa (CSA)
- The Endangered Wildlife Trust (EWT)
- The Wilderness Foundation
- The Wildlands Conservation Trust
- The Wildlife and Environment Society of South Africa (WESSA)
- The World Wide Fund for Nature South Africa (WWF-SA).
CAP aims to:
- Raise awareness around climate change and the links between climate change and the conservation of natural habitat;
- Promote the integrity of climate change projects by promoting the adoption of globally accepted standards, with an emphasis on the Climate, Community and Biodiversity Standards (CCBS);
- Advise on and support Southern African solutions for mitigation and adaptation to climate change with a biodiversity conservation outcome;
- Promote cross-sectoral policy that supports climate change mitigation and adaptation activities with a biodiversity conservation outcome;
- Achieve carbon reductions for the head offices of the CAP partner organizations.