“For more than 35 years, we have been challenging established consensus, asking difficult questions and unearthing new answers thanks to our partners and donors...This year was no exception — big questions led to major breakthroughs.”
M. Sanjayan, Chief Executive Officer, Conservation International
These stories tell of local insight, pioneering science, powerful partnerships and Conservation International’s commitment to the promise we made when we were founded almost four decades ago — to redefine conservation by protecting nature for and with people.
Examples of your impact
What you’ve helped accomplish in 2023
Stabilizing our climate
Between two forest restoration projects in partnership with Mastercard’s Priceless Planet Coalition, Conservation International helped communities in Colombia and Madagascar plant nearly 3 million trees this year.
One of the most ingenious solutions to climate change doesn’t need to be invented — nature already provides it. By absorbing and storing carbon from the atmosphere, ecosystems such as forests, mangroves and peatlands help to forestall climate change. Science shows that conserving, restoring or improving the use of these ecosystems can deliver at least a third of the emissions reductions needed by 2030 to stabilize our climate.
Doubling ocean protection
Reef mantas in Indonesia are now thriving thanks to the creation of large-scale marine protected areas and Southeast Asia’s first shark and ray sanctuary, according to a study co-authored by Conservation International.
The ocean feeds us, regulates our climate and supports much of the world’s economy. By the end of the century, however, more of the world’s ocean could be hot, acidic and lifeless — with catastrophic implications for marine life, Earth’s climate and the food security of billions of people. The science is clear: Setting aside large areas where human activities are carefully managed can help marine ecosystems recover. That’s why Conservation International engages with governments, corporations and other partners to meet the global goal of conserving 30 percent of the ocean by 2030 and ensuring that production systems in the other 70 percent are sustainable.
Expanding nature-positive economies
Through the Yes4Youth program, Conservation South Africa provided jobs in rangelands management to women between the ages of 18-34 — with a focus on sustainable grazing and restoration of degraded rangelands.
Conservation International is spurring investments from companies and donors that build sustainable supply chains for global commodities, including coffee and palm oil, and reward local fishers, herders and small-scale farmers for producing their goods and services in a way that does not degrade forests and rangelands or pollute freshwater sources. With partners, we aim to transform 40 million hectares (99 million acres) of globally important lands and waters to a planet-positive model that produces lasting conservation results and improved livelihoods.
Alongside the national government, Conservation International’s team in Bolivia helped establish a network among Bolivian municipalities with protected areas to share knowledge and build partnerships.
To make conservation work for all, it must be more conscious and inclusive. It must also continue to embrace and elevate the voices of Indigenous peoples and local communities, whose expertise and knowledge of the land and waters they steward is critical to addressing the twin crises of climate change and biodiversity loss.
Every success story in this report — the groundbreaking research, the vast areas of nature protected and restored, the people benefiting from sustainable livelihoods — is possible because of the vision, passion and trust of our donors and partners.
Thank you for your commitment to nature, to people and to our shared future.
Your flexible support matters
All of Conservation International’s work, including each project featured in this latest Impact Report, is made possible by “flexible” gifts that enable our teams around the world to rapidly direct our efforts where they are needed most — and ultimately protect nature and the critical benefits it provides to humanity.
Your flexible funding supports:
Large public funding grants almost always require significant private funding matches to maximize the impact of the work. Overall, US$ 1 of flexible funding leverages at least US$ 3 in public or corporate support.
We use flexible support to develop and test new concepts and ideas with the potential to transform conservation practices.
When a great opportunity or urgent need arises, flexible funding expedites our response.
Flexible funding secures our access to top-notch expertise. We are proud to have leading minds in natural and social science, policy, finance and business working together to improve people’s lives through the care and protection of nature.
We’re grateful to have you by our side