What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file placed onto your device that enables certain features and functionalities on our Sites. For example, cookies enable us to identify your device and to help us serve relevant content to you.
What types of cookies does CI use and why?
CI drops cookies to improve your experience on our website. For example, we may use these cookies to suppress certain lightboxes or experiences that you have already visited. Our cookies are not associated with Personal Information we collect from you. Deletion of these types of cookies will result in limited functionality of our Site and services.
Third Party Cookies:
- We use Google Analytics, which installs cookies on users’ browsers, to understand the performance of our Sites and content contained within including, but not limited to: number of visits and average time spent either to a single page or the entire site, number of pages viewed per session, or the sequence of pages visited. We may also customize site structure or navigation as well as certain web content based on these data as well as your browser type, bandwidth or other settings to optimize your site experience. Google Analytics also collects information about the devices that are used to access our site, including computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system and version, device manufacturer and model, language, and Internet browser type and version. Google uses these data to reports web trends.
- We use CrazyEgg and Visual Website Optimizer to improve your experience on our Sites. Examples of data tracked includes mouse clicks and movements as well as scrolling activity. These data are aggregated and anonymized.
- We installed Quantcast on our site, a third-party tool that captures anonymized data and provides aggregated reports on users of our Sites, including demographic data and general internet usage behavior.
- We use third-party services that allow us to serve you advertisements while on participating Sites, based on information relating to your time on our site or similar types of sites, which is tracked through a unique cookie on your browser or tracking pixels.
- We use Google Adwords to display text ads at the top of Google keyword searches. Anonymized information on specific keywords typed is provided.
- We use YouTube to host video content on conservation.org. Analytics for this platform include aggregated and anonymized data on length and location of views, basic demographic details, and engagement rates.
Most browsers allow you to control cookies through their settings preferences. However, if you limit the ability of websites to set cookies, you may negatively impact your overall user experience, since it will no longer be customized to you.
If you do not want to receive cookies, you can also change your browser settings on your computer or other device that you are using to access our Sites. If you visit our Sites without changing your browser settings, we will assume that you agree to receive all cookies on our Site.
Notice to users from Germany
Other helpful resources
- European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (EU)
- Internet Advertising Bureau (US)
- Internet Advertising Bureau (EU)
Browser manufacturers provide help pages relating to cookie management in their products. Please see below for more information.
- Google Chrome
- Internet Explorer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Safari (Desktop)
- Safari (Mobile)
- Android Browser
- Opera Mobile
For other browsers, please consult the documentation that your browser manufacturer provides.