The objective of this activity is to gain map skills and, more importantly, understand that equatorial countries have a high level of biodiversity. This activity can be done in groups of two, or as individuals depending on resources available.
- Using your world map in your classroom, determine the approximate latitude and longitude for the Eastern Kanuku Mountains in Guyana.
- What is the population of Guyana? (see Maps and Facts). Find a city in the United States with a comparable population to Guyana – how big is that US city compared to the country of Guyana (in terms of land size)?
- Find a country in the world with a comparable land size to Guyana (see Maps and Facts) – what is that country's population?
- Now find a country in the world with a comparable population to Guyana – what is that country's land size?
- Do you think that other countries that share the same longitude as Guyana have a high or low level of biodiversity?
- Does it appear that there is relationship between biodiversity and proximity to the equator?
<< Day 3 Dispatch | Day 5 Dispatch >>