In partnership with the local government, the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and local organization Palacian Economic Development Association, Inc., CI is implementing a Forest Carbon Project to reforest 153 hectares and establish 24 hectares of agroforestry in QPL. This project is being pursued through the support of MoreTrees, Inc., a non-profit carbon offset provider.
The project aims to create an alternative source of income for the local community, to protect and improve the habitat for animals and plants, and at the same time to stabilize the ecology in watershed areas to ensure a steady supply of water.
CI is also working with partners to sustain the management of the protected area by supporting the following initiatives:
- Research for biological and ecosystems assessment including resource valuation and accounting.
- Income diversification and livelihood programs for the communities
- Capacity building for protected areas management and forest carbon project implementation
- Protected area management through adaptive planning and strengthened enforcement
- Promotion of ecosystems and biodiversity value of Quirino Protected Landscape to local communities