As demand for the world’s mineral resources continues to grow, exploration and mining activities are expanding into areas of critical habitat vital to the provision of services such as food production, climate regulation and freshwater availability.
For the first time, the Mining Indaba conference in South Africa will include a CEO-level panel dedicated to the topic of mining and sustainability. Convened by the International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM), the panel on February 8, 2011, will be moderated by Peter Seligmann, CI's Chairman and CEO.
Titled 'Working together: Mining and sustainability,' the panel will feature Mark Cutifani (CEO, AngloGold Ashanti), Nick Holland (CEO, Gold Fields) and Andre Wilkens (CEO, African Rainbow Minerals).
Peter Seligmann will also be giving a keynote address titled 'CSR as a business imperative' as part of the ICMM Corporate Social Responsibility day on February 10.
The mining industry has a crucial role to play in the responsible development of the world’s natural resources. Strategic partnerships with conservation organizations can assist in producing business value along with positive environmental outcomes.
CI engages partners in the mining industry who demonstrate a genuine commitment to pursuing a leadership position on environmental sustainability and corporate social responsibility. We provide objective, science-based advice to companies focused on:
- Strategy Development – on emerging environmental issues including biodiversity, climate change, water and mine closure
- Policy Development – through the provision of technical support to strengthen companywide commitments to stewardship of global biodiversity, climate change, energy efficiency and water management that are aligned with international good pratice
- Environmental Risk Identification and Management – through the development and identification of new science-based tools and field-tested guidance to support corporate business decisions and implementation of environmental commitments
- Development of Field Demonstration Models – regarding land use choices, biodiversity action planning, natural resource management and biodiversity stewardship initiatives
- Conservation Investments – creating long-term protection and restoration of ecosystems, emphasizing delivery of economic benefits to communities and building local capacity to sustain these efforts in perpetuity
LEARN MORE: Mining + Conservation (pdf)